The Energy Resources Division is part of the Resources and Energy Group of the Department of State Development.
The Energy Resources Division (ERD) is part of the Resources and Energy Group (REG) of the Department for Energy and Mining (DEM).
REG reports to the Hon Dan van Holst Pellekaan MP in his capacity as Minister for Energy and Mining
The Resources and Energy Group manages the state's mineral, petroleum and energy resources on behalf of the people of South Australia. The Energy Resources Division is the lead agency in facilitating petroleum and geothermal activities in the state. It has responsibility for facilitating the generation of royalty income, economic development, wealth and jobs, and the minimisation of impacts on the environment and public safety through efficient management of the state's petroleum and geothermal rights on behalf of the people of South Australia.
For South Australia’s petroleum and geothermal potential to be efficiently realised with the community’s support.
To maximise the community’s net benefits from the state’s ownership of the rights to petroleum and geothermal resources.
To achieve the above vision and mission, the Energy Resources Division seeks to facilitate the achievement of the following key outcomes that are consistent with DPC corporate outcomes and with the overarching South Australian Strategic Plan.
- The Energy Resources Division is respected by stakeholders for the manner in which it progresses its mission.
- Maximise the amount of land that is accessible land for the responsible exploration and development of petroleum and geothermal resources.
- Maximise exploration investment to realise the value of the state’s ownership of rights to petroleum and geothermal resources.
- Activities carried out for the exploration and development of petroleum and geothermal resources are ecologically sustainable.
- Maximise competition within the petroleum and geothermal resources industries, and the security of gas supply to the South Australian community.
The above vision, mission and outcomes are inter-related and interdependent. That is, to maximise economic return requires maximising exploration investment that, in turn, requires maximising the amount of accessible land for such activities to be carried out. To maximise access to land requires community confidence that exploration and development activities are ecologically sustainable and socially acceptable.
Division role and functions
The Energy Resources division achieves its mission, outcomes and objectives through three key inter-related roles:
Attract private sector exploration investment that will lead to new commercial petroleum and geothermal resource discoveries and developments
- Ensure the ready availability of comprehensive and user-friendly data and databases that are valid and accurate, and relevant to upstream petroleum and geothermal industries.
- Maintain and disseminate expertise, data and information on technical and business environment aspects of the petroleum and geothermal industries in the state
- Research new exploration opportunities
- Promote South Australia exploration opportunities to the worldwide petroleum and geothermal industries.