Vision, innovation and excellence in the state’s energy and mining sector.
More than 300 representatives from South Australia’s energy and mining sector and beyond gathered at the Hilton Adelaide for the 11th annual Premier’s Awards in Energy and Mining dinner and presentation ceremony.
The awards highlight the innovation, expertise and global leadership in the transformative space of energy and mining, as key organisations work with our state towards achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
This year, a Young Indigenous Achiever category was included for the first time in recognition of the valuable contribution of First Nations People to the sector and to recognise future leaders. The joint winners were Tyrone Strangways from Agile Mining and Chandrika Coulthard from OZ Minerals.
Other category winners were Young Achiever Matthew Forrest; Australian Gas Networks, Amber Electric and Planet Ark Power – Epic Energy in the energy sector; UniHub Spencer Gulf Inc, Beach Energy and Santos in the resources sector; and MaxMine in the engineering, technology and services sector.
Premier Peter Malinauskas said, ‘The energy and mining sectors in South Australia contribute close to $9 billion to our state economy. These awards in energy and mining really show our ambition and vision around environmental sustainability and technological innovation continues to grow and expand.
‘South Australia continues to demonstrate our bright future and global leadership around energy and mining transformation to a carbon neutral future.’
Premier's Awards in Energy and Mining 2022: winners and commendation recipients. (Photo 418745)
More about the awards including videos of recipients discussing their projects
2022 Premier’s Awards winners and commendation recipients
Energy sector: Community
- Winner: Australian Gas Networks (AGN) – Hydrogen Park South Australia (HyP SA) Community Engagement Program
- Commendation: EPS Energy and Barngarla Determination Aboriginal Corporation – Yoorndoo Ilga Solar
Energy sector: Environment
- Commendation: Delorean Corporation and Blue Lake Milling (a subsidiary of CBH Group) – Blue Lake Milling, SA Bioenergy Plant
Energy sector: Innovation and collaboration
- Winner (joint): Amber Electric – SmartShift
- Winner (joint): Planet Ark Power and Epic Energy – IKEA eleXsys Microgrid
Resources sector: Community
- Winner: Uni Hub Spencer Gulf Inc – Uni Hub Spencer Gulf - ‘Growing our own’ skilled workforce
- Commendation: Adbri Limited – Adbri's trainee program builds community capability
Resources sector: Environment
- Winner: Beach Energy – Dombey 3D geophysical survey
- Commendation: Alligator Energy Ltd – Mineral exploration improves biodiversity and pastoral condition
Resources sector: Health and safety
- Winner: Santos – How to drive around the world 500 times safely - the Santos story
- Commendation: Wilco Technologies – Trajectaflex resin firing system
Resources sector: Inclusion and wellbeing
- Commendation: BHP Olympic Dam – Creating a safe and inclusive workplace culture
Resources sector: Productivity improvement
- Commendation: Hallett Group – Kulpara Quarry - Process and sustainability improvements
Resources sector: Innovation and collaboration
- Commendation: OZ Minerals and Qube Holdings – Vision Electric
- Commendation: Unlocking Complex Resources - The Consortium (The University of Adelaide and University of South Australia) – PRIF Mining Consortium ‘Unlocking complex resources through lean processing’
Engineering, technology and services sector: Innovation and collaboration
- Winner: MaxMine – MaxMine Carbon
- Commendation: Erizon – Tailings storage facility dust management project
Young Indigenous achiever
- Winner (joint): Chandrika Coulthard – Lead Hand and Trainer, Byrnecut/OZ Minerals Alliance
- Winner (joint): Tyrone Strangways – Dump Truck Operator, Agile Mining Services
- Winner: Matthew Forrest – Founder and Managing Director, Economical Energy
- Commendation: Aaron Barbaro – Medium Term Scheduling Engineer, OZ Minerals
- Commendation: Fontae Franks – Mining Engineer, OZ Minerals
- Commendation: Matthew Musolino – Graduate Geotechnical Engineer, OZ Minerals
– December 2022