COVID-19: Fee relief for mineral resources sector
The South Australian Government has deferred costs linked to exploration and licence fees for the mineral sector to alleviate the impact on industry of coronavirus (COVID-19) containment measures.
On Friday 3 April 2020 the Minister for Energy and Mining announced:
- an immediate deferral of mineral exploration licence fees due in the next six months (now not due until 31 December 2020)
- a 12-month waiver of committed expenditure for all mineral exploration holders.
Full details of the fee relief are available in the Minister's news release
Fee structure from 1 January 2020
New fees for exploration regulation zones, rent and exploration, quarrying and mining programs (PEPRs and MOPs) will come into effect from 1 January 2020. There will also be changes to the way rent is payable by holders of mineral and retention leases.
There are three changes:
- New exploration regulation zones for annual exploration licence fees
- Changes to rent payable by tenement holders
- New fees for a program for environment protection and rehabilitation (PEPR) and a mine operations plan (MOP)
You can use the fee calculator to determine the fee relevant to the submission of exploration, quarrying and mining programs (PEPRs and MOPs).
Frequently asked questions
Visit the frequently asked questions for more information about how the fee changes will affect lease and licence applications, rent payable and PEPRs.
Fee schedule from 1 January 2020:
PEPR and MOP online submissions
From 1 January 2020, you will be able to submit your PEPR and MOP online.
- Online PEPR and MOP submissions must be made using via the following submission forms:
- PEPR and MOP submissions no longer require hardcopy versions to be provided. Electronic submissions only are required. Electronic copies can be uploaded to the submission form.
- Payment of the PEPR or MOP fees can be made as part of the submission using credit card (or through EFT for large fees).
- You will be able to track the progress of your PEPR and MOP assessment using an assessment tracker in SARIG (available in February 2020).
The fee calculator provides a guide to the fees required when submitting a PEPR for exploration or mining, or a mine operations plan (MOP).
Forms and templates
Approved forms need to be completed for registration of a mineral claim, lease and licence applications, and some other activities associated with a lease, licence or tenement.
Mineral Tenements Program
GPO Box 320
South Australia 5001
+61 8 8463 3101