On this page
The Government recognises the particular community and commercial interest in the mining lease application for the Bird in Hand Gold Project in the Adelaide Hills. The following diagram shows where we are in the regulatory decision-making process that the Government must use in assessing the mining lease application.
The applicants for the Bird in Hand Gold Project are related companies, Terramin Australia Limited and Terramin Exploration Pty Ltd, together known as 'Terramin'.
Terramin propose development of an underground gold mine near Woodside on the site of the Historic Bird in Hand gold mine, approximately 5 km south-southeast of Lobethal. The purpose of the development is for the recovery of gold and to a lesser extent silver.
Terramin intend to transport ore from Woodside to Strathalbyn to utilise existing ore processing and tailings storage facilities at Angas Zinc Mine (ML 6229), approximately 10 km southeast of Macclesfield.
The map below shows the location of the proposed Bird in Hand gold mine and processing facility at Angas Zinc Mine.
Public consultation and assessment process
The South Australian Government is committed to involving communities in decisions that affect their lives. We recognise that local people have knowledge and perspectives about their local environment and interests, and that this information is important for informing Government decision-making, as well as informing a proponent’s project design. Accordingly, and part of normal process, Terramin’s applications have been made available to all stakeholders for comments and submissions. This follows the requirements of the Mining Act 1971.
Stakeholders have been able to make submissions on any aspect of the application which will be considered as part of the comprehensive technical assessments that will be undertaken by the South Australian Government.
Notice of the consultation period was published in:
- the South Australian Government Gazette
- The Advertiser
- The Courier (Mount Barker)
- The Adelaide Hills Weekender Herald
- Southern Argus (Strathalbyn)
- The Times (Victor Harbor)
and on this website, inviting members of the public to make submissions regarding the applications from 11 July 2019 until 20 September 2019.
The Department for Energy and Mining received 254 public submissions.
To ensure transparency full copies of all submissions (excluding personal details where requested) are published below.
Request for response
On 7 February the South Australian Government wrote to Terramin with a formal request for a response to the matters raised in all public and government submissions.
The request for response included a consolidated list of matters raised by the:
- Environment Protection Authority
- Department for Water and Natural Resources
- Department of Planning, Infrastructure and Transport
- Department of Primary Industries and Regions South Australia
Terramin must now prepare a detailed Response Document addressing the matters raised in all public submissions and by the South Australian Government before the application can proceed any further.
The submission of a detailed Response Document by Terramin will initiate a comprehensive assessment of the information provided. If matters are not sufficiently addressed, Terramin may be required to provide an additional revised Response Document.
The applications made under the Mining Act 1971, public submissions received, Terramin's Response Document, the Government Assessment Report and any other relevant information will all be considered when making a decision whether to grant or refuse the applications.
Following a decision on the applications, the decision will be published, and anyone who made a submission during the consultation period will be notified in writing.
Terramin submitted two primary applications for the Bird in Hand Gold Project, to meet the requirements of the Mining Act 1971, and set out the company's proposed approach to meeting the relevant requirements of the Natural Resources Management Act 2004.
The Department for Energy and Mining has declared the mining proposal and management plan submitted in support of the Bird in Hand Gold Project adequate for assessment.
Note: The mining proposal initially released on the Terramin website was updated following a request from DEM for additional information (see 27 June 2019 letter below). The following sections of the mining proposal were changed: Executive Summary, 22.214.171.124.5, 4.1.2, 126.96.36.199, 10.1.2, 10.6.2.2, 21.3.5, Appendix B8 and Appendix K1.
Every mining application must follow a specific process. The statutory process moves through a number of stages. With the Bird in Hand Gold Project, the current stage is the Government requesting the applicant to develop a detailed Response Document to address the public and Government submissions.
The South Australian Government recognises the particular community and commercial interests arising from the location of the Bird in Hand Gold Project. In April 2017, on advice from technical specialists in the South Australian Department for Energy and Mining, the Department for Environment and Water and the Environment Protection Authority, a project-specific Ministerial Determination was published setting out the minimum requirements of a mining lease application for the Bird in Hand Gold Project. The Determination for a Mining Proposal for the Bird in Hand Gold Project (PDF 377 KB) sets out the information that must be provided by Terramin, including information to be obtained from in-depth studies on the interaction between the proposed mine, the environment (particularly groundwater), adjacent businesses, residents and the local community.
The miscellaneous purposes licence application for processing of gold ore at the Angas Zinc Mine must be prepared in accordance with Ministerial Determination 006: Minimum information required to be provided in a mining proposal and/or management plan for a mineral lease (ML) and any associated miscellaneous purposes licence (MPL) applications for metallic and industrial minerals (excluding extractive coal and uranium)
Terramin were also required to openly engage with all stakeholders (i.e. interested members of the public, local businesses etc.) when developing both documents.
The mining lease application
A mining lease application for the underground gold mine and associated infrastructure at Woodside has been submitted, in accordance with section 35 of the Mining Act 1971, including a mining proposal that complies with the project-specific requirements for the Bird in Hand Gold Project.
- Mining lease proposal: Main document (PDF 69 MB)
- Mining lease proposal: Appendices A1 to G1 (PDF 73 MB)
- Mining lease proposal: Appendices H1 to K2 (PDF 77 MB)
- Mining lease proposal: Appendices L1 to O6 (PDF 63 MB)
- Mining lease proposal: Appendices P1 to X1 (PDF 41 MB)
Miscellaneous purposes licence application
A miscellaneous purposes licence application for the processing of gold ore at the Angas Zinc Mine has been submitted, in accordance with section 53 of the Mining Act 1971, accompanied by a management plan that complies with Ministerial Determination 006.
- Miscellaneous Purposes Licence: Main document (PDF 71 MB)
- Miscellaneous Purposes Licence: Appendices A1 to I1 (PDF 73 MB)
- Miscellaneous Purposes Licence: Appendices I2 to K1 (PDF 92 MB)
- Miscellaneous Purposes Licence: Appendices L1 to S16 (PDF 124 MB)
- Miscellaneous Purposes Licence: Appendices T1 to W1 (PDF 81 MB)
Project related correspondence
Correspondence between Terramin and DEM
- 8 July 2019: Letter to Terramin from DEM regarding assessment of additional information and status of the applications (PDF 471 KB)
- 27 June 2019: Letter to Terramin from DEM regarding a request for additional information in the Mining Proposal (PDF 1.8 KB)
- 21 June 2019: Letter to DEM from Terramin regarding the securing of water allocation for the Bird in Hand Gold Project (PDF 413 KB)
Correspondence from Government to the WCCC
- 27 June 2019: Email to WCCC advising of current status of the government review of applications for Bird in Hand Gold project (PDF 721 KB)
- 25 June 2019: Email to WCCC advising of receipt of applications for the Bird in Hand Gold Project (PDF 588 KB)
- 24 July 2017: Letter to WCCC from the Government of South Australia regarding review of groundwater information (PDF 263 KB)
Presentations to the Woodside Community Consultative Committee (WCCC)
- 3 July 2017: CCC meeting presentation (PDF 1.1 MB)
- 22 May 2017: Determination for a Mining Proposal for the Bird in Hand Gold Project (PDF 269 KB)
Presentation at Public Meeting held on 19 August 2019 at Woodside by DEM
- 19 August 2019: DEM presentation (3.55 MB)