South Australia offers explorers and investors a diversity of petroleum investment opportunities as well as opportunities aligned with the State’s energy transition – carbon capture and storage, natural hydrogen exploration, hydrogen generation and geothermal energy:
- Petroleum Exploration Licences (PEL) up to 10,000 km2,
- blue sky opportunities in frontier basins with oil and gas shows,
- diverse Neoproterozoic to Cretaceous marine and non-marine plays,
- in place gas storage and CCS licensing regime,
- exploration for natural hydrogen can occur under a PEL, and
- in future the State's proven effective petroleum regulatory regime will be extended to include blue and green hydrogen generation.