The Government of South Australia is committed to effective and efficient regulation of South Australia's mineral exploration and mining sectors
The Department for Energy and Mining, through the Mineral Resources Division, is the state's agency responsible for the administration and management of mineral resources and regulation of South Australia's mineral exploration and mining sectors.
The Government of South Australia has adopted a contemporary framework for regulating mineral exploration and mining activities which is consistent with:
- The mining legislation administered by the South Australian Government's Mineral Resources Division on behalf of the Minister for Energy and Mining
- Publications of the former Ministerial Council for Minerals and Petroleum Resources, including Principles for Engagement with Communities and Stakeholders
- Our state’s commitment to the regulatory solutions, forms and principles set out in Principles and guidelines for national standard setting and regulatory action by ministerial councils and standard setting bodies, Council of Australian Governments (2004)
- The Leading Practice Sustainable Development Program for the Mining Industry published by the Australian Government
- The principles of Enduring Value (2004) endorsed by all members of the Minerals Council of Australia, which are based on the Sustainable Development Framework of the International Council on Mining and Metals (2003)
- Relevant national standards including AS/NZS 4360:Risk Management
Further regulatory information is available, including published policies, guidelines and information.