A digital platform providing global access to South Australia's key geoscience information, mining and exploration project information and streamlined business interactions
On this page
Explore and discover the SARIG platform
- Quick access to updated and new data releases; coordinate tool; a variety of base maps
- Modern interface; responsive design (minimum screen size tablet); touch screen compatability
- Map layer themes; search and filter the map layer catalog
- Custom transparency of raster images and raster web services
- Mineral and Petroleum Industry Indicators dashboard for viewing and downloading resource industry statistics (exploration, production, exports and employment)
- Commodity dashboard providing interactive production and resource graphs from state level down to a particular project, with a corresponding map showing the breadth of commodity resources in South Australia
- Expanded spatial search; links to related database downloads
- Save map capabilities, allowing retrieval from multiple devices and sharing on social media channels
We welcome your feedback on the new platform. Your comments will assist in evaluating the changes and in informing further improvements to SARIG.
Access to SARIG is free and no login is required.
Use SARIG to find:
- South Australian mining and petroleum projects
- Geology, geophysics, regolith, paleodrainage, petroleum basins, groundwater and earthquakes
- Mineral, petroleum and geothermal tenement boundaries
- Exploration company details and commodity information
- Infrastructure locations e.g. power stations, substations and transmission lines, water pipelines, roads and railway, ports and airports
- Data from other government agencies that value-add to mineral and energy resources managed data, e.g. land access layers for parks, Native Title and property boundaries
- Seismic lines and seismic horizon maps
- SEG-Y and HyLoggerTM image and data downloads
Users can search and download from multiple government databases, e.g.
Note:Core inspection requests can be booked online via SARIG: Databases - Drillhole and online core inspections
- Using Google Chrome internet browser will provide the best performance
- Internet Explorer 10+ and Edge are also supported by SARIG
- No additional software or plug-ins are required to use the SARIG application
If the spatial data is under the custodianship of the Mineral Resources Division and/or Energy Resources Division of the Government of South Australia you can download the map layers from SARIG.
SARIG delivers map layers in multiple formats:
- Vector data
- ESRI Shapefiles, Geodatabases
- MapInfo Tab files
- Google Earth KMZ
- Raster Data
- GeoTIF (Georeferenced TIFF)
- ERS (Earth Resource Mapping Satellite)
- ECW (Enhanced Compression Wavelet)
- Petrosys (Petrosys Software)
- Web Services
- Web Map Services (WMS)
- Web Feature Services (WFS)
The Department for Energy and Mining will begin delivering GDA 2020-based location data on 12 August 2019.
To facilitate the transition, both GDA94 and GDA2020 coordinates will be delivered by SARIG – with the plan to phase out the delivery of GDA94-based data by late 2020.
Vector spatial layers will be delivered in geographic coordinates (latitude and longitude) based on the Geocentric Datum of Australia 2020 (GDA2020) and Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994 (GDA94).
Raster spatial layers and web services will only be delivered in geographic coordinates (latitude and longitude) based on the Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994 (GDA94) due to the practical constraints of reprocessing of data and current software limitations. These datasets and services will be updated to GDA2020 during any future reprocessing or software updates.
GDA2020 is the current Australian standard based on the International Terrestrial Reference Frame 2014 (ITRF2014). Specifications for GDA2020 can be found on the Geoscience Australia website.
For more information, contact:
Phone: +61 8 8429 2586
Level 4, 11 Waymouth Street,
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
GPO Box 320
Adelaide SA 5001
9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Australian Central (Adelaide) Time
Phone: +61 8 8463 3000