As global economies look to decarbonise, there is growing demand for clean fuels from renewable sources, including hydrogen.
Additionally, for Australia to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050, energy derived from renewable sources will need to be about 40 times more than today’s national electricity market.
With its abundant wind, sun, land and infrastructure, South Australia is well-positioned to capitalise on this shift.
To develop a sustainable industry that provides the best outcomes for communities, respects native title and delivers net environmental benefit, we need a fit-for purpose regulatory framework in place.
We are seeking your views on a new Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act, which would introduce a ‘one window to government’ licensing and regulatory system for the lifecycle of large-scale hydrogen and renewable energy projects in South Australia.
Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act issues paper
The Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act issues paper proposes provisions that the Act should contain and for which DEM is seeking public feedback on. The paper includes questions that will shape the direction of the legislation.
- Full version: Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act issues paper (PDF, 6.2 MB)
- Summary: Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act issues paper (PDF, 241.1 KB)
- Summary of questions for discussion (PDF, 202.6 KB)
South Australia Renewable Energy Resources map
The interactive renewable energy resources map shows current land uses and features of South Australia's unique landscape, and how different parts of the state can support renewable energy development.
Learn more about the proposed Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act you can visit one of the regional roadshows, or watch the recording of the online webinar - see below.
Forthcoming roadshows will be held at the following locations:
- Whyalla: Monday 30 January 2023, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm at Site 2, Westland Shopping Centre, Mcdouall Stuart Avenue, Whyalla Norrie
- Port Augusta: Tuesday 31 January 2023, 9:00 am to 12 noon, 54 Commercial Road, Port Augusta (Under the Avis Woodcock Memorial Arbour)
- Ceduna: Thursday 1 December 2022, 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm - Surpry's Mall, 35 Poynton Street, Ceduna
- Clare: Monday 5 December 2022, 10:30 am to 12 noon - Ennis Park/Town Hall, Main Street, 229 Main North Road, Clare
- Port Pirie: Monday 5 December 2022, 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm - TLAP Office, 125 Ellen Street, Port Pirie
- Ardrossan: Tuesday 6 December 2022, 9:00 am to 1:30 pm - Ardrossan Town Hall, 9 First Street, Ardrossan
- Berri: Tuesday 6 December 2022, 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm - Riverland Central (in front of Coles)
- Mount Gambier: Thursday 8 December 2022, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm - Mount Gambier Market Place, Site 4 (in front of Woolworths)
- Port Lincoln: Tuesday 13 December 2022, 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm - 66 Tasman Terrace, Port Lincoln (foot path area)
On Wednesday 14 December 2022, the Department for Energy and Mining (DEM) held an online webinar and Q&A session on the proposed Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act, on which DEM is seeking public feedback.
Have your say
- Visit yoursay.sa.gov.au/hre-act and complete the survey
- Email a submission to DEM.Legislation@sa.gov.au
- Post your written submission to:
Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act Engagement
Department for Energy and Mining
GPO Box 320
Adelaide SA 5001
The consultation period is open until 10 February 2023.
There will be another opportunity for the public to comment on the draft Bill in early 2023.
Email DEM.firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question about the proposed legislation.