On this page
What is being decided?
South Australia’s renewable energy sector is growing rapidly and there is tremendous potential for the state to become a global leader in renewable energy production and supply, delivering benefit to all South Australians.
With our abundant renewable resources, South Australia is well-positioned to capitalise on the local and international shift towards clean, renewable fuel sources.
There is a significant amount of interest in establishing renewable energy projects on freehold land across the state, as well as on government-owned pastoral lands and state waters, which are co-owned by Native Title groups.
For South Australia to develop a sustainable industry that provides the best outcomes for communities, respects Native Title and delivers net environmental benefit, we need a fit-for purpose regulatory framework in place.
The proposed Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act aims to introduce a ‘one window to government’ licencing and regulatory system for the lifecycle of large-scale hydrogen and renewable energy projects in South Australia.
Under the proposed Act:
- Government owned land and waters where renewable energy projects can be hosted will be identified by the South Australian Government
- Companies will compete for licences to access government owned land and waters to deliver these projects
- New, fit for purpose licensing arrangements will be established for projects across all land types, enabling regulation of the whole project life cycle
- First Nations people’s rights and interests will be considered early and throughout the regulatory processes
- A framework will ensure that developments are delivered with net environmental benefit
- Requirements will be put in place to ensure land is rehabilitated and returned to pre-existing conditions; and
- Multiple land use provisions will be sought to deliver fair outcomes for landowners, communities and other pre-existing land rights holders.
- Draft Bill - Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act
(PDF, 535.2 KB)
- Explanatory Guide to the Draft Bill
(PDF, 557.4 KB)
- Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act Process Diagram
(PDF, 47.3 KB)
- Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act Regulatory Impact Statement (PDF, 777.3 KB)
The draft Bill has been developed following feedback from a previous consultation regarding the Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Issues Paper.
Have your say
You can have your say via the South Australian government YourSAy website:
The consultation period closes on Monday 26 June 2023.
Information about the proposed Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Act can still be found on yoursay.sa.gov.au/hre-act
Feedback will be considered and will be used to inform a Bill that will be introduced to Parliament later in 2023.
Email DEM.firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question about the proposed legislation.