If a change to existing operations or circumstances is proposed (within an existing mining tenement), the tenement holder will need to do a self-assessment of the proposed change to determine the correct regulatory pathway. The self-assessment can then be provided to the department for confirmation of the regulatory pathway required to authorise the change.
More information on the change process is provided in Section 12 of Minerals Regulatory Guideline 2b: Preparation of a PEPR for metallic and industrial minerals (PDF)
The regulatory pathways available to assess and authorise a change include:
- Change in operations
- Review of mining program (PEPR or MOP)
- Program notification
Change in operations
An application for change in operations must be prepared in accordance with Division 7 of the Mining Act, Part 12 of the Mining Regulations, and Terms of Reference 025: Change in operations application (PDF)
A regulatory guideline, drafted to assist with the change in operations process, will be finalised in 2021.
Change in operations applications must be made online using the following submission form, and are subject to an application fee.
Review of mining program (PEPR or MOP)
A mining program may be reviewed at any time by the tenement holder, or must be reviewed at the direction of the Minister.
Mining programs must be prepared in accordance with the relevant legislative requirements. The following guidance is available for preparing a mining program.
For metallic or industrial minerals
For extractive minerals
- On a mining lease (EML or ML) Terms of reference 002: Extractive mineral quarry PEPRs (PDF 440 KB)
- For guidance on preparing a mine operations plan on a private mine, or extractive PEPRs see Regulatory guidelines for extractive minerals
Specific requirements apply for preparing a PEPR in prescribed circumstances, where:
- a tenement has a PEPR that transitioned by virtue of regulation 114 of the repealed Mining Regulations 2011 or Section 70DA of the Mining Act 1971; or
- the tenement does not have a mining program under Part 10A of the Mining Act.
PEPR and MOP submissions
PEPR and MOP submissions must be made online using the following submission form, and are subject to an application fee.
If a self-assessment in accordance with Minerals Regulatory Guideline 2b: Preparation of a PEPR for metallic and industrial minerals does not require a change in operations or review of a mining program, a tenement holder may submit a program notification to demonstrate the proposed change is within the scope of the existing approvals, or to seek confirmation of the required regulatory pathway.
- Additional guidance is provided in Section 12 of Minerals Regulatory Guideline 2b: Preparation of a PEPR for metallic and industrial minerals (PDF 278.3 KB). Note, while this process is described for metallic and industrial PEPRs, it can also be applied to extractive minerals on an extractive minerals lease or private mine.
- Significance level 3: program notification template (DOCX 308.6 KB)
Program notification submission
Program notification submissions must be made online using the following mining program submission form, and will not attract a fee:
When submitting a mining program (PEPR or MOP), fees apply.