Public liability insurance must be maintained by tenement holders to indemnify the holder against any action or damage arising out of exploration or mining operations.

Tenement holders must provide the Department for Energy and Mining (DEM) with a certificate evidencing public liability insurance is current and maintained in accordance with Regulation 81 of the Mining Regulations 2020. The certificate must be provided to DEM in accordance with the regulation before operations commence on the tenement, and annually thereafter.

Public liability insurance certificates will be recorded on the Mining Register.

Tenement holders must also notify DEM if the insurance lapses without being renewed, or if there is a change in the policy including a change in the amount of cover. Notification must be provided in accordance with Terms of Reference 032: Public liability insurance change or lapse notification.

If requested tenement holder must provide DEM with a copy of the insurance policy which relates to the requirements of Regulation 81.

Terms of reference 032: Public liability insurance change or lapse notification (PDF)