South Australia has some of the best solar resources in the world.
South Australia has a well-developed solar photovoltaic (PV) industry. The state currently has over 2 gigawatts of solar PV generating capacity statewide, over one in three households have solar panels, and three large scale solar farms are in operation with a fourth under construction.
Solar energy contributed to over 20% of electricity generated in the state in 2020–21.
Solar energy systems convert the light or heat from the sun into another form of energy. Energy from the sun is the world’s most abundant source of renewable energy.
There are two types of solar energy technology:
- solar photovoltaic (or PV), which uses semiconductors to convert sunlight into energy
- solar thermal, which uses the sun’s heat energy for electrical production or heating.
- Find out more about the solar projects in South Australia.
- Read more about the Australian solar photovoltaic market at the Australian PV Institute.
- Australian Energy Market Operator reports for the South Australian government provide information about electricity generation, consumption, demand and forecasting in South Australia.